It’s easy to become overwhelmed by all of this, and its easy to forget our spiritual practices when the world is in seeming chaos. For me, and probably lots of other folk, it’s the time when I’m feeling overwhelmed that I need them the most so here’s five ways I remind myself of the magic that’s out there in the world as well as within me.
- I keep it simple. I don’t need to create a full on ritual and actually in tough times, its often better for me to do nothing more than light a candle or say a few words. This means there is no pressure on me to perform or produce something that is any more than I feel I can manage in among everything else that might be going on.
- I make an effort to wear something that helps me feel connected. This might be a symbol of some kind or it might be some make up or a piece of clothing. Whatever it is, the only rule is that it reminds me of my spiritual nature.
- I really struggle to get outside and into nature lots of the time because I’m at home with my son who is shielding and permanently in a powered wheelchair. When I feel the need to, I look out of my window and take a moment to really see and take notice of the world outside. I’m super lucky here because the view from my kitchen and office is full of trees and nature. This reminds me that even though there’s this whole load of stuff going on in the world, nature is also carrying on as usual and that the wheel is turning – that this too shall pass.
- I create something. It doesn’t matter what that thing is be it a drawing, a piece of writing, a cake or loaf of bread etc. It doesn’t even have to be good! So long as I can be creative and produce something at the end of it. This helps me to remind myself that there are some things that I can control even if there’s a lot I can’t. It gives me my power back, even just a little.
- Lastly, I focus inwards just a little and spend five minutes checking in on myself. I ask myself these questions then if I can, make the things I need happen:
- How does my body feel and what does it need?
- How am I feeling emotionally and what do I need?
- Is my mental health doing ok and what do I need?