The Ouija board is commonly associated with two types of danger namely use of the board for one person to manipulate another or the dangers connected with making contact with malign spirits.
Using a Ouija board with people who may have negative intentions or who deliberately try to frighten others can be a traumatic experience. I would suggest you avoid the kind of idiot who asks questions like: “When is so and so going to die?” And avoid people who treat it with a cavalier attitude or who are just seeking a scare factor. Any contact with the dead should be treated with respect and a sensible amount of caution.
Making contact with spirits is a very definite possibility with a Ouija board. If you know, hand on heart, that making contact will upset you - avoid using the board completely. The worries, doubts and fears that lie in your own mind will be more powerful and have a more negative affect on you than anything an actual spirit could sling at you. If you have any doubts, don’t put yourself through it.
Making contact with an evil spirit is highly unlikely. Most spirits would be more accurately described as mischievious or malicious. To be honest, the kind of spirits randomly contacted by a Ouija board and a novice are going to be pretty low level entities – you may be lucky enough to witness the odd break out of kinetic energy (table rocking that kind of thing, rare but it does happen) but it doesn’t really take that much intelligence to rock a table, not even for a spirit. The greater danger is believing what you see and hear on the board. Some spirits will take great delight in telling you rubbish just to frighten you. You wouldn’t (I hope) ring up random strangers in the phone book and believe them when they tell you that you are going to die. Well why believe the spirits? Treat what you are told with a generous pinch of salt. And bear in mind that knowledge is not proof of foresight. Just because a spirit can tell you the name of your dead dog doesn’t mean they know anything at all about your future.
There are however some basic precautions that you can take to maximise the safety or using a Ouija board.
- Cast a circle prior to your session and use the board inside your circle. Your circle will act as protection against negative entities.
- Light white candles (traditionally at the same height as your head) for the duration of your use of the board.
- Close the board down correctly by moving the planchette to the goodbye or board closed position.
- If you do encounter a malicious spirit, be firm but polite and close the board immediately. Do not engage in conversation that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Do not believe everything you are told. Treat the information you are given with scepticism. Even if a spirit claims to be somebody you knew, treat with caution.
- Do not use the board if you suffer from mental illness or psychosis and do not use the board with anyone who does.
- Avoid using alcohol or drugs when using the board.
- Try to be specific about who you want to contact. Don't just open yourself up to random spirits.
- If the board starts to count down the numbers or the alphabet, close the board immediately.