Here’s some tips for you that have served me well over the years:
- The first thing to learn is how to protect yourself. There are many techniques you can try for this but my own favourite is a mirrored bubble. Take some time to get a sense of your energy field, also known as your aura. It’s a bubble that expands all the way around you in an egg shape expanding about the length of your arms. Once you have got a good sense of your aura, then spend some time visualising or sensing a mirror that sits on the edge facing outwards. You can use this whenever you feel the need to and the more you practice, the better you will be at putting it in place. It is especially useful in situations where you don’t want to be picking up the energies and emotions of others such as when their energy might drain you or overwhelm you.
- Learn to focus on your breathing. Being able to spend a few moments just paying attention to your own breath can be very useful if you feel that you’re picking up on someone else’s energy as it helps to centre you back in your own power. Holding your breath is not a good idea in these situations as it can hold the other persons energy in your body and energy field. If it helps, you can add visualising breathing out anything you don’t want and breathing in clean, white light.
- Get to know yourself and your needs as an empath. These vary from person to person just as any other need does. Take some time to think about the situations that get to you the most and then figure out what you need to get through them safely without absorbing energies you don’t need and also what you need the other side of the situation to feel right again. Knowing yourself and your needs is important for anyone but especially important if you are going to function well as an empath.
- Get help if you need it. Some empaths are born, and some are made by their circumstances and situations they have lived through. Those that are made in this way may be extra sensitive due to what they’ve been through and it can really help to get therapy to help you deal with those things in order to help you rein in your empathic tendencies.
- My last, and perhaps most vital, piece of advice is to learn to set boundaries and healthy limits. That is, learn to control the time you spend around people that add to your stress or place expectations on you that go beyond the limits you set for yourself. Most importantly, learn to say no and use it as a complete sentence. It is easy for empaths to go above and beyond because they understand how people feel but it is not always the right thing to do, especially for you.
I hope that helps,